Thursday 9 March 2017

International Women's Day and start of a new painting

I wanted to make a road-map-spread for International Women's Day, so I was looking through my book to find a road-map that I could detect a lot of faces in (I always try to "see" the faces before I draw them).


So I found one and started drawing, and it was only then that I realized I was drawing on a map of Belgium :-) And what's more: the town where I'm living now and my birth town is on there! Of course I had to bring that out somehow. It ended up in a pussy hat and I drew a little flower around it. Here it is:


I live very close to the point where 3 countries meet: Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany. And on this map is also a part of France. And Luxembourg of course. That's a good start for International Women's Day I think ... :-)

Here is the complete spread:


I love that quote and have been wanting to use it for a while now. What better moment than now, right!?

And then I finally started a new large canvas again. Since I don't have a separate studio in this new house, and since these canvases are so huge I only bring them out when I want to work on one, I didn't have any leftover paint on there yet. So for the first time in a long time I had to start with a completely blank canvas. I decided to start in the same way as on our toilet walls: roll different blocks of colour next to eachother.


Then I added some collage:


and then started playing with stencils and a bit of spray inks.


This is where I am now. Not sure yet whether this'll turn into an intuitive painting or into a negative space painting. That'll depend on how the next layers evolve I guess ...

That's it for now! Except for my funnies of course :-)










And a few to think about ...









I'm linking this post to that wonderful group of artists over at Paint Party Friday. Have a look over there and play along if you want!
Thanks so much for your visit! Have a great day, and I wish you peace and joy for the coming weekend ♥ ♥ ♥

22 comments:

  1. I don't know where to begin....I LOVE your faces and the quote is spot on! You large painting is intriguing already.....and the funnies! They just kept getting better as I scrolled!!!! Thanks for sharing and giving me a giggle. I needed it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post, you are a true treasure! I too LOVE your faces and feel they should go viral. They are gorgeous and would make an amazing poster representing women!! Of course your memes great too as well as the start of your new canvas!! Don't ever let anyone steal your shine!! Your passion, paired with compassion always shines vividly though your stunning words and artwork!!

    Hugs Giggles

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all I can't stop laughing at grandpa's pants and the guy trying to sneak into my country as part of the wall. OMG I need a good laugh. I am so taken with your piece of art this week. You made it international, you made it women, and you made it beautiful. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Denthe, that's so sweet and coincidental how you came about to paint that particular map, I really like the "flower marks the spot" too :D) All your ladies are wonderful with their pretty hats and, oh I do love that quote too!

    It's going to be exciting to follow the progress of your new canvas and your getting-started method is great, absolutely gets rid of that blank white canvas in an easy laid-back way.

    Thanks too for those funnies, they're beaut! Happy PPF :D)


    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post! I love the international women painting!! Love the dog funny! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great quote, indeed, and the women are very strong looking in your impressive painting. The map is super idea.
    Thanks for funnies, and happy PPF Party xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. An absolutely fab post Denise!!
    As i said on FB,I love your map piece. And now your piece for International Women's Day is is even cooler as you share some of your own connection,your birth place!!Truly one of my all time favorites!
    Looking forward to where you will go with this canvas and as always, though provoking and way humorous funnies! (although the one from Dr.Seuss is rather sad and disturbing "(
    hugs and happy weekend my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful artwork. Thoose faces are just super.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the artwork! Your beautiful map faces with pink hats are brilliant and it's very cool that your birth city is now the flower. I didn't realize you were Belgian (I thought Australian for some reason). It's a lovely place, Belgium. I was there briefly last summer driving from The Netherlands to Germany and hope to be back there soon to explore more of the countryside.

    Looking forward to seeing how the new painting progresses. Super funnies as always. They make me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know where the mix-up comes from ;-) When I started this blog I was living in Australia (from 2011 - 2014), and I would've been happy to stay there. But hubby was missing the family and friends too much, so at the end of 2014 we moved back to Belgium. I feel a little bit Australian though ... :-)

      Delete
  10. Love your quote and great idea for a background for your gorgeous painting!!!
    I truly lol when I saw the cat looking like a fried egg...to cute!!!

    Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  11. International Women's Day was perfect for your map faces and they continue to be gorgeous. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a great quote and fabulous painting for International Women's day!! Of course I already know your newest canvas is going to be gorgeous and full of meaning too. Thanks for the many reasons to smile with the funnies. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your quirky map ladies and am excited to see a new piece starting up. It is so cool that your map had a connection to your life. I always enjoy your funnies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi denthe! Your international women's painting is beautiful. What an perfect use for one of your map paintings! I love seeing the start of your new painting as well. I love the last thing you shared: When sleeping women wake, mountains move. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "we are the storm" luv that

    Have a creative weekend

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha Denise,
    wat een leuk idee een landkaart als ondergrond
    ook de dames van internationale dag van de vrouw
    is prachtig.
    succes bij je nieuwe doek.
    groetjes Christiene,.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the magic in your map discovery and enjoy looking at the painting.
    The quote in your art is powerful.

    As usual a wonderful collection of quotes.
    And the one about sleeping women, I had to pause not only to consider the truth, but to enjoy the art.

    Also, whenever you show us the beginning stages to your layered pieces, it makes me want to give it a try, some day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! More roadmap faces! Love them! My favorite funny is the "sunshine dog"! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have an amazing intuitive ability, Denise. I could no more see a face in a map than I could fly to Egypt without a plane! I like your newest spread of swatches of color and can just imagine you going to work making faces and objects out of it. It will be fun to see what develops.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't get over how your new painting/colors look like a map. Interesting. Love the painting on the map, great idea. Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing your thoughts about my work. Because I am getting too many spammer comments, l have to use Captcha, sorry. Hope this is not a problem for you !