Friday 1 July 2016

start of the summer! (in theory ...)

The summer holidays have started here! Two months vacation for the kids, which we have all been looking forward to. We might finally find the time to get this endless renovating done. As long as the sun doesn't show (the weather has been horrible here: storms and hail and lots of torrential rains) we might as well do something useful in the house.

But, we're taking it easy. There still needs to be time to have some fun, right? So I thought today was the perfect day to finally start my new large canvas. The people from the gallery have been asking me to make a second large painting, and I've kept postponing it because there was still so much work in the house. But the weeks just keep flying by and it seems there's never an end to the renovation work, so I thought that's it, I'll just start and see how it goes. Here's what I have so far:

It's another one from 1 meter by 1 meter (39,4 x 39,4 inches), so it's hard to move around and it's pretty heavy. I decided to follow Flora Bowley's advice and find a wall somewhere in the house where I can hang it while I work on it. In our cellar we have a room that's very light and that we don't use at the moment, so I put some plastic on the wall and some strong screws, and now I can just hang it and turn it the way I want it. Perfect for spraying and dripping paint. Once I start with the details I'll bring it upstairs and work on my easel.

It was so much fun to paint on canvas again. I always love to start a new painting, not knowing what I will be painting and what the drips and marks will reveal to me. Here are some detail shots:



Don't the colours make you drool ...!? I love how the drips make these small patterns that I could never make myself with a paintbrush. I'll be using these detail pictures as backgrounds for drawings, and I might also make some leggings and t-shirts and who knows what else with it on Society6 :-) It's about time I update my shop again!

I've also been adding more figures on my bathroom wall. It's funny how I keep on discovering new faces or animals while I'm sitting there. It sure gives me something to do :-)

 This is a fish and something else, not sure what .... But they seem to like each other :-)

And another kissing couple (although that bird could also be picking at his eye...., but I prefer the other option). Funny how this week they seem to spread love around on my walls. Maybe it's a kind of subconscious reaction to all the hate in the world, whenever I've had enough I can just close myself in my bathroom and find comfort in my fantasy.

Anyway, that's it for now. Haven't been able to make a new wallpaper yet, but I will be doing that tomorrow and send it to my newsletter-subscribers. I will put in on the blog next week.

I'll leave you with some funnies for this week (because this world not only needs more love but also needs more laughter):






Linking this to Paint Party Friday, as always. Thanks for being here, I hope your day is sweet and the weekend ahead will be peaceful and bright. See you next week ♥ ♥ ♥





29 comments:

  1. LOVE the colors on the new canvas! I agree with how you feel about what’s going on in the world lately….you may just find me in the bathroom with you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the start of your new canvas and am so delighted you are making time to paint that way again. I must have missed a post about the gallery? Congrats on getting gallery representation! Your bathroom is looking good - it looks a little like a deer kissing the fish, I love it! You're so right about the world - it's crazy right now and I love the funny about the Leave Campaign - I still can't believe people voted to leave, the UK is falling apart!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking great in your bathroom!! I would love to do a huge canvas. ..although the way I work using paper fragments would take forever! I love those colour dribbles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking great in your bathroom!! I would love to do a huge canvas. ..although the way I work using paper fragments would take forever! I love those colour dribbles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the holidays, love the toilet murals.Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work Denthe, vibrant background and creative bathroom wall. I enjoyed your sense of humour today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely bathroom and the start of the new painting is awesome! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always like the magical and colorful worlds you create. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful dripping paint colors! And the kissing couple is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab colours, the bathroom looks ace

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you use colors and the intensity.Here is Winter and it's beeb adorable!Lovely bathroom!Enjoy your holidays!Mine will be in August due to the Olympic Games.Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super colours and thaks for a smile 😆
    Happy PPF 🐝

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving your new canvas and ti's beautiful COLORS!!!! Also love the figure coming out on your bathroom wall. Your funnies are fantastic and I love the Bar Marley Quote ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing your work in steps. Such beautiful colors. Happy PPF.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, the colors do make me drool! I think we both have a passion for color. I am loving what is happening on your bathroom wall. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  16. i can't wait to see where all those drips on the canvas lead to!

    ReplyDelete
  17. fab colors on your new canvas-my faves too! Your br walls keep getting better and better. Thanks for the funnys-great ending to a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, looove the colors. So bright and happy!!

    Happy weekend!
    Nora Clemens-Gallo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bathroom is great. I think you will have the most interesting bathroom ever. And your new piece is starting off with some fantastic colors. :) Erika

    ReplyDelete
  20. ur bathroom is supercool....wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely dribble colour. I cant seem to get the dribble technique somehow. Love your art.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, that canvas is so beautiful, you can call it done and sell it!! Knowing you, it will become even more beautiful... but it truly is GORGEOUS as is!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your new canvas is absolutely stunning! Love the glowing colors
    I am trying to relax in the holidays but with kids its not so easy
    Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful start to the new canvas!! When I see your powder room....I keep thinking in cliches.... "A fish out of water" and the birds is " putting a bug in his ear".... or whispering is her ear...It all looks so loving and philosophical!! Everyone from all species getting along... it should be called " The Dream" you just need a peace sign linking it all together...just kidding...it says peace without words or signs! The bird does NOT appear to be pecking an eye, it's too sweet and docile looking so far! Great job as always!

    Hugs Giggles

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loving those colours! It's like looking through a window at a tropical garden when the rain is pelting down.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous art, so colorful and filled with beautiful energies! Wonderful work!
    Happy PPF
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  27. The bathroom walls will be a wonder when you are finished. Like the start of that new painting, yummy colors. xox

    ReplyDelete
  28. The new canvas is looking great and I love your bathroom walls, they are incredible! Funny funnies, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Drooling and picking my jaw off the keyboard! Yes!! heehee
    I love the new additions to the bathroom walls..that fish and whatever are my favs so far! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing your thoughts about my work. Because I am getting too many spammer comments, l have to use Captcha, sorry. Hope this is not a problem for you !