Friday 14 February 2014

Dance of life and faces nr 14 and 15

It was a bit of a rush against time to get my painting ready. I'm working on 4 at the same time and will probably not get them all ready this month, but at least I'll know that I've tried :-)

As I said last week, I want to make some "easy" paintings now for my upcoming exhibition. Easy meaning just make a drawing and colour it in ....

Hmm, I must say I didn't enjoy that nearly as much as I thought. To show you what I mean, this is the painting:

 "Dance of life" - 50x60 cm (19,7 x 23,6 inches)

I had fun drawing the figures, even though I got lost in the tangle of limbs sometimes ;-)
But then I started colouring them in, and boy, that was tedious work! Some colours I had to do four layers to get them more or less opaque (especially the red and orangey ones). The good thing is that you can do it in between other things, but let's just say I won't make a painting like this again very soon ...

It's a nice technique though. This is how it started:


I painted the canvas black and then drew the figures on there. After that was done I drew vertical lines over the figures, not parallel but a bit at an angle. Then I drew the horizontal lines the same way.

And then it's just a matter of colouring it in. Every figure was either completely tones of blue, tones of green or tones of red, and everytime you get to a line you change the colour. A bit similar to the technique I explained here. And don't mix up the figures! The background is done in different dark colours.

So if you feel like "colouring": feel free to try out the technique! And don't forget to show the results!

Still going strong with the 29 faces challenge, although at times it's "challenging" ;-p

Here's face nr 14: another miniature-painting (10x10 cm - 4"x 4"):

And face nr 15: another rock


Felt like making a weird face with lots of colour ... (was starting to get a bit bored with the colours of my painting ;-) )

On Sunday I'll post the next faces, and an overview of the whole week (just to motivate me to keep going ..)

Thank you so much for visiting, and for leaving all those wonderful comments! Linking this to Paint Party Friday, as every Friday, and also to 29 faces challenge. So much to see at those 2 blogs, 100s of links, and too little time to visit them all ... :-(

Hope you're enjoying a  wonderful day, and that your weekend will be stress- and hassle-free!
See you on Sunday! ♥ ♥ ♥


36 comments:

  1. LOVE YOUR "DANCE OF LIFE"
    LOVE your miniature painting - great quote too!
    Love your stone.. it rocks!
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Happy PPF!

    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful painting and I love the rock faces too. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your painting. Even if it was hard, it was worth it! I also love the picasso rock face

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful projects Denthe........wow all those bodies floating about, so complicated and so wonderful. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geweldig!! Wat een kleurrijk schilderij en ik geloof meteen dat het een hels werk was, maar het resultaat is fantastisch. Ook je miniatuurtje is weer erg mooi en ik zal proberen me aan je tekst te houden :-)
    De steen is weer een beauty... Toch wel!!
    xxx Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally love all your work. :) Good luck to you with the exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great faces - I love the one on the stone.
    Your 'dance of life' is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, colorful and inspiring creations! Thank you for sharing

    http://agagasiniak.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I know I would get lost amongst all those arms and legs. It's a great design! And that rock face is so fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the dance of life, and I like those sweet expressive eyes of the girl. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mini painting is wonderful and so true. Really pretty art. And those dance of life shapes are so amazing! what a gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Face 14 is so expressive - I just want to find another adjective to say what I feel! And the quotation is so true. Face 15is perfect, lovely colours. It should count as two faces really, I like the way you have combined a full face view with a profile view. Pablo would be envious!
    The dance of life is amazing and it's no wonder you had to be careful with the limbs. Full of movement and colour, and bound to be snapped up quickly. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the first one! I'm so glad you showed us how you created it. Really cool!!

    http://www.artworkbyjm.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I truly love this post and your art.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Dance of Life is wonderful! Awesome work as always. Have fun at the exhibition. Happy PPF and of course Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Dance of Life painting is absolutely amazing Denise-I am so in awe of your work! That painting would make for such a great advertisement for a dance troupe. Your face painting is so soft and lovely. I also love the vibrancy of the painted stone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your painting - so much color and movement. I will have to try that technique (can you tell I have my tedious, anal side?!!) The faces are just beautiful and so striking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As always you don't disappoint!! That dance of life is so powerful and I think very marketable... amazing work to keep all the colors straight! Good job...I can see it on many items... also it's so true with all the entanglements and complication life throws at us...this really expresses it perfectly! Excellent my friend...excellent!

    Love your abstract rock face too...and the beauty with the quote is PERFECT!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is a Matisse painting called the dance which I love and your dance has the same vibrant energy, fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I might not have considered how hard that multi figured drawing would be, but yes i can see what you mean! sure turned out nice.

    love your faces and quote too~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quote is so true and I love your colorful art!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it!!!!! So much color and movement ! Love the faces too. That rock is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your dance painting! Such a fabulous technique - I've never seen this done before! I love the way the bodies tangle and wind around! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, the result was worth the effort with those dancers. Really cool technique but I can see it would take a long time. I love the painted rock face! Wonderfully fun and a bit kooky!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your work is amazing as always. Love face 14 and your Dance Of Life is so fun, so full of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dance of Life might have been tedious for you to create, but it is not tedious for us to pause and take the time to enjoy and celebrate your hard efforts!

    Face 14 is so captivating with her beautiful blue eyes and long eyelashes which are so coordinated with the colour of the background and lettering. The quote is so important to remember, but so hard to control.

    Face 15 looks so fun to make and the quote is also so very relevant and true too!

    As usual, well done and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. good luck with your exhibit !! you have so many nice pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Superb work. Always your fan!Good luck with your exhibit, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, I would go crazy if I tried to color that kind of dance! You did a great job, it's absolutely fabulous.

    That painted rock must feel so smooth in the hand!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful work! I love the dance! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. wonderful art Denise! i can see how the first painting would have taken ages, but what a fantastic result! and the last rock face is awesome, love how you can look at it 2 ways, side portrait and front portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Too funny, you did good though. . .figuring out which was which to color. We do tend to make it harder than it needs to be sometimes. But it usually turns out better than it would have otherwise. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful art works!
    Love the rock quote the most :)
    HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for sharing the process Denthe. I remember you sharing another similar project and I had so much fun trying that out. Beautiful face and that rock face with bright colors look awesome.
    Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow, i feel so inspired after seeing your post. i love your dance of life and admire your patience!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely works of art and I can't believe the depth of work in "Dance of Life", amazing!

    Enjoy the exhibit.

    Annabelle : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing your thoughts about my work. Because I am getting too many spammer comments, l have to use Captcha, sorry. Hope this is not a problem for you !