Monday 15 April 2013

journalpage, google reader and doodle

Today I wanted to write about Google Reader shutting down the first of July. Last night I thought I'd figured it out, but now I've tried Feedly and realize I still don't know what I'm doing .... Guess I'll have to spend some more time on it .....

What I did find out is this (correct me if I'm wrong):
In Google Reader are all the blogs that you subscribed to via RSS. They've also added the blogs that you follow in blogger, but these don't really belong to Google Reader. Meaning you don't lose them when Google Reader shuts down. The other subscriptions will be lost, unless you migrate your feeds BEFORE the 1st of July to another reader, like Feedly.

Not only is this annoying because you can lose sight of blogs that you subscribed to, but you can also lose a lot of blogfollowers. I have currently 181 people who follow me through RSS. I would hate to lose them only because Google suddenly decides not enough people are using Google Reader and therefore it's expendable....

If you are one of my RSS-subscribers, you can import the blogs you read to a new reader, like Feedly, because, as Marcia so kindly explained to me, RSS-feeds can be sent to any feedreader. Or you can subscribe to my posts via email. I've lately done this for a few blogs and I find it easier than Google Reader. Every time there's a new post, you will get an email. I've set up an email-address specifically for this.

Anyway, I'm now figuring out how to use Feedly, so this will be continued .... If you have tips to share, or if I've understood something wrong, please let me know.

Meanwhile I've finished another journalpage:


I wanted to use a Rod McKuen poem, but these lyrics from Antony & the Johnsons were just too appropriate for this drawing. It looks like it's just words, but they're actually sentences, although it might be hard to read ....

And here's another doodle I finished during the holidays but didn't show yet:


Just one more update on the Etsy-promotion: I've been contacted by quite a few people who don't have a blog but would like to participate. So I decided, if you are on at least 2 social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest ...), where you are able to share pictures of the shops you'll promote, you can participate too! Just go here and sign up with the link to your Etsyshop.

Well, thanks for visiting and for leaving such lovely comments! I'll be back on Wednesday with another inspiring artist post. See you then! ♥

14 comments:

  1. wow such a mess with google reader!! how do you set up the subscription by email? I would like to thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and writing a lovely comment.

    I adore the Never never never give up! And the poem with the lovely birds is so sweet and special! :D Have a lovely week!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria, just click on the link "subscribe by email" in the sidebar. I might put it somewhere on top of this page actually ....

      Delete
    2. And if you want to add it to your own blog, you go to design - layout - add a gadget, and it's there in the list.

      Delete
  2. Prachtige doodle, Denise en een leuke art journal pagina. Ik ben nog snel even mijn blogs aan het lezen, maar het verhaal over google blijft verwarrend. Ik kijk wel hoe het uitpakt en JOU vind ik sowieso weer terug hahaha.
    xxx Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your art journal page Denise... the birds and the face... so lovely... and gorgeous doodle page... another beauty... I will let my blog readers know about your Etsy shop promotion page too in my next post... the more... the merrier...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!!!
    I simply LOVE your journal page... Great doodling too. :)
    You are very talented & inspiring. Thank you for sharing all that is YOU ~xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pages, I love specially the magnifique doodling, that fits all perfect together, very inspiring.
    Have a nice day,
    xox Anja

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your journal pagea are always so great and I love them Denise.
    Wat je schreef over Google ik zou het niet weten. Heb geen enkel bericht gezien hierover. En hoe het werkt bij mij, ik weet het niet.
    Fijne avond en lieve groetjes Marja

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prachtige pagina's, vooral die doodle pagina spreekt me erg aan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I love your journaling and doodling! Thanks for the bloggy reminders and help...I am probably even more confused about all of it than you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your work this week.... I've given up trying to figure out a new rss and have just started following the blog I really don't want to lose my email. My brain just isn't functioning enough these days to do more :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am reading your blog in Feedly now - I decided to take the plunge and get used to it before it is too late. I didn't like it as well at first but am getting used to it with time - I'm one of those people who isn't fond of change - I hang on to things that work for me so I'm kinda put out with Google for their shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing your thoughts about my work. Because I am getting too many spammer comments, l have to use Captcha, sorry. Hope this is not a problem for you !