Friday 28 September 2012

the real art of conversation

Well, I didn't expect that the spring break would have such consequences on my ability to paint. Since I don't have a studio, or even a separate room, I always do my painting in the diningroom. And I pretty much take up all the passageway. Which is not so handy when the house is full of people...

So I had to limit myself this week (and next week probably too) to working smaller and on a canvas that was pretty much ready for the next step. This is a canvas that I brought with me from Belgium and that had some layers on there already.

It's mostly leftover paint from other projects. The interesting part is the first layer. That was done with a mix of sand and gesso. You just put some gesso on a palet, mix sand under it with a palette knife (at least if you want to keep using your brushes ...), and smear the whole thing on your canvas, again with a palette knife. It takes a while to dry, but gives you a nice grainy surface to work on. It was my favorite way of painting for a while.

I decided to use one of the sketches in my journal. I have so many sketches laying around, and when I paint the "Flora-way", I just paint what I see on the canvas, and I don't use my sketches. Since I've done Flora's workshop I paint mostly with my fingers, and this surface is not really suited for that.

So I doodled a bit more on the canvas

and some more ...

And then added (with some difficulty I might say) the drawing on top of all those doodles. Hard to see, I know ...

I ended up using too much dark

And decided to lighten it up again ...

So this is where I am now. I hope I'll be able to finish her next week ... (and yes: that are fish swimming up her belly ☺ I like surreal sometimes ....)

The 29 faces challenge is almost over. Only three more! Here's my face for today:


Thanks for stopping by! Take a look at all the other participants in the 29 faces challenge and in Paint Party Friday! So many interesting and inspiring things to see!

Hope you'll have  a wonderful relaxing and funfilled weekend, and I'll see you tomorrow with my daily face ☺♥

31 comments:

  1. I needed that quote on your one line lady today!! Perfect!!

    Your painting is so amazing...I love the evolution of it...and adore how it's turning out! Can't wait to see the finished piece!!

    hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work - there are no words for how much I love it! I really love seeing how each canvas starts and how you find your inspiration hidden in the layers and doodles you've already added. the fish swimming up her belly are fabulous - I love surreal!
    that quote on the wonderful line face is perfect - I am often tempted to say things that won't be well received (honesty sometimes isn't the best policy!) so this is perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work, Denthe, I love the colours you use, simply beautiful! I will look forward to seeing it finished. Flora Bowley workshops must be very inspirational:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your colour choices, sometimes it's good to go too dark or light and then experiment a bit and sometimes you get some nice surprises on the finished result as you have here - because of the layering you have some nice depth and plenty of detail - I am not knowledgeable on sureal art but I know I like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh.... how beautiful! I so loved seeing the progress of your canvas. I love the fish. Fabulous face for today too.... and wonderful quote. I've written it down so I don't forget it!!!! I need to remember it!!!!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your work so much Denthe. It's freally awesome and I enjoy it.
    Lovely greet
    Marja

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that quote and face today. Thank you for sharing the process of your canvas. Didn't know about the sand and gesso ....will have to try that. Your lady is emerging beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how your painting is progressing, makes me want to try your way, I always start with the figure or face and the background follows. Your way sounds like fun. Love the face for today and its quote which is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow beautiful inspirational painting. Enjoy the weekend, happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  10. fish girl is amazing!! thanks for showing the step-by-step.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fantastic!!
    Love seeing your process and how you've transformed this painting using mostly leftover paint! :)
    When you wrote of painting in your dining room, it reminded me of how the famous artist Joseph Cornell painted in his kitchen. :)
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your new painting is so beautiful. It's really inspiring to see how your pieces evolve. I am especially impressed that you did this in the dining room with a house full of people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how amazing to see your process! stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love seeing the process you use in your paintings. This one is really beautiful. I used sand in gesso long ago when I was doing a trompe l'oeil piece in a painting class, but I'd kind of forgotten about that possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coming along beautifully! It is great to see the progression. I think she will be stunning when completed. Can't wait to see. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh, I am blown away! Her figure is stunning. It's so clean over a fab background. Those fish. I am in awe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really loved watching your painting evolve. When I got to the last picture, I said out loud, "Oh, wow!" It is really beautiful and I can't wait to see her next week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow!! She is gorgeous, I can hardly wait to see where she ends up. Spring holidays begin this week in New Zealand, I am waiting to see how that will impact my creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your style, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great piece, and I loved watching it evolve - fantastic! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was great seeing your process and how it evolved... and can't wait to see it finished... I am amazed you got that much done considering it is holidays...xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. great quote! and i loved seeing how your canvas comes together step by step!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love what you've come to in your surreal project! Great "face" portrait also. I've been seeing lots of art around this 29 faces challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your face and message- your canvas is Wow! I can't wait to see it completed!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh the whole process of transformation was just mind blowing ...love he various textures and those tiny little fish there :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love your fish woman. She positively glows! I love her the way she is now with all that rich colour and curvy Kandinsky lines and shapes - but I am sure she is going to look even better. I look forward to seeing her next week.
    And, you might like to share her on Mandarin Orange Monday:) She would look great there!

    ReplyDelete
  27. fantastic work my friend ! great !!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your faces and quotes are fab! the fish painting is great..liked it both ways!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The painting is sure to look fantastic once it finishes...love the lady figure with fish...it's real gorgeous! The face with the quote is superb...LOVE LOVE LOVE the quote:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your quote. Perfect! I dont know how you do what you do with all those colors and then come up with something in them. Fun to watch the progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing your thoughts about my work. Because I am getting too many spammer comments, l have to use Captcha, sorry. Hope this is not a problem for you !